Getting Ready For Give To The Max?
Start by finding out if your company has a matching donation!
November 9, 2021
Dear Families and Friends of Math and Science Academy,
Our annual fund drive is upon us and we’re inviting you to participate. We have a big goal of raising $50,000 (about $100 per student) between now and November 19th and we can’t do it without you! Our annual fund drive coincides with Give to the Max Day on Thursday, November 18th. This marks a national day of charitable giving and we hope that you’ll choose to support MSA with a donation on that day or at any time during our fund drive. Donations of all sizes will help us reach our goal.
Why is MSA raising funds? As a public school, we receive a per pupil allocation of $6,946 from the state. This covers most, but not all, of our general expenses. Unlike traditional school districts, charter schools in Minnesota do not have the option to raise additional funds through
tax levies. For example, voters just renewed an operational levy for the South Washington County Schools that adds $350 of revenue each year per student. That is why we ask our stakeholders to consider making a donation to help us cover the costs of expenses to keep the quality of our program strong for all of our students.
How will my donation be used? Funds will be used for the items below in the following order:
- Technology: Chromebooks and laptops have been well-used over the past year. Funds will pay for the repair and replacement of many devices and defray the cost of subscription services, like Zoom, that we’ve come to rely on. ($20,000)
- Social Emotional Learning: Students will learn skills like self-management, social awareness, and responsible decision-making through a web-based curriculum called CharacterStrong. CharacterStrong sessions begin this month and will be held weekly during Advisory class this school year and beyond. ($5,000)
- College Preparatory Mathematics: Through problem-based lessons, students are deepening their learning of math concepts and skills. This curriculum includes digital tools and textbooks. ($15,000
- Teacher Grants: Enhance classroom resources, provide supplies or equipment for student clubs and activities, and support culturally responsive teaching practices through grants to teachers. ($10,000)
How can I donate?
- Visit our website, www.mnmsa.org, and look for the Give to the Max Day banner and donate via PayPal.
- Bring a cash or check donation to the office at any time or put it in a bucket while driving through the parking lot drop off and pick up line on November 17th-19th.
- Pay by credit card through a secure connection in the drop off and pick up line on November 17th-19th.
- Visit www.givemn.org and search for our school. We receive about 93% of your donation when it’s given through this site.
- Donate through your employer if they have a matching gifts program.
Raise $50,000 by November 19, 2021. Please show your support for MSA with a donation to help us reach this goal.
Lela M. Olson, Ph.D.
Board of Directors