The Math and Science Academy (MSA) is an innovative charter school that is located in the City Center neighborhood of Woodbury, Minnesota. MSA is a tuition-free public school that serves students in grades six through twelve. It has a tradition of offering intense math and science experiences with the added distinction of providing creative and challenging opportunities in arts and humanities.
To meet this challenge, MSA students are expected to value and seek out their education. Students must be willing to diligently apply themselves to their studies, and be well organized and disciplined in their educational pursuits. They are given opportunities to excel in rigorous math, science, humanities, music, art, and foreign language curriculums that reward critical thinking, effective time management, and collaboration with peers. These opportunities allow students to develop skills and competencies in many aspects of their lives; they provide a strong educational foundation which students can build upon after graduation.
Students are held to high standards in their academic work and their behavior, and they are expected to self-advocate to achieve these expectations. The students are expected to act responsibly towards their classmates, their teachers, the school staff, MSA family members, and themselves.
MSA is designed to foster meaningful interaction among faculty, students, staff, and parents while promoting an atmosphere of self-advocacy, accountability, respect, and responsibility. MSA educates students to become leaders who have acquired excellent communication skills, conceptual understanding, and the ability to make wise choices that will lead to success.
Families need to be aware of the opportunities and responsibilities they have in ensuring the success of MSA students. MSA families are expected to support the policies of the school and the students in their studies.
Math and Science Academy: New at MSA for the 22-23 School Year
The leadership of Math and Science Academy is excited to announce that we are back in person. We continue to have great student outcomes, even during the pandemic. We are looking forward to a great year where we will be working to put equity at the center of all that we do in our rigorous educational environment.
- The school has new leadership with a wealth of experience. Introducing:
- Executive Director, Randy Vetsch.
- High School Principal, Kate Hinton.
- Middle School Principal, Activities and Athletics, Steve Hoemann.
- Assistant Principal, LyTou Lee.
- MSA has many talented new staff including new MS and HS teachers. We are excited to welcome these new staff to our school as they bring diversity, fresh perspectives, and new ideas to our school.
- The board of directors and administration will continue to gather input from stakeholders to inform them as they set strategic priorities for the school.
- The administration is focused on honoring student voices, building a healthy culture, and putting equity at the center of MSA’s rigorous learning environment.